I wanted to try them with Tucker, but couldn't afford the upfront cost. I thought about it with Trevor, but didn't think I had the time. When I saw how cute they were on MckMamma's blog I got to thinking . . . this very well could be my last baby - I think I'll try it now.
There it is, the honest truth: they are cute, I haven't done it before, & I wanted to. Period end of story. No green momma here, no cost-affective reasoning, no "it's better for my baby" theory. HOWEVER, I do believe in all of these:
Green: There is little explanation needed nor any debate really - I have used disposable diapers for 3 boys. Just an estimation of my contribution:
Say we use 10 diapers a day. That is roughly 300 a week, 1,200 a month, & 26,400 a year. Then say, you cut it down to just 5 diapers a day the second year (which was not the case in my house, but for arguments sake). The total diapers I polluted this earth with for one child was around 39,600. Plus 2 more kids = 118,800!!! So, by using cloth diapers I am certainly not hurting the environment!
Cost: Big Daddy read my post on my AIO/Pocket diaper reviews. He came home totally confused, "Tell me he does not have $20 undies on?!" "Well, sorta." LOL "BUT . . ." He walked out of the room. Let me give MY break down of the cost of disposables vs. cloth. Okay, using the estimated numbers above the cost of disposables for the first year would be at least $1,200. For my favorites an estimation of the first year + for cloth diapers would be about the same, but keep in mind these are REUSABLE!! (Based on 12 contour diapers, 66 fitted diapers, 3 pocket diapers, 13 covers, and 30 inserts.
*If you compare the cost of wipes: disposables (2 packs of 192ct/per month) = $204 cloth wipes (*40 re-usable)= $60 *really, you only need 24 to get started so this is a high estimate.
Better for my baby: Check THIS Post out from All About Cloth Diapers Blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment