Less frustration? Better communication? Increased confidence? Stronger bond?
These all things that I desperately needed with Trevor. He is the younger of my Mustangs & suffers from “little brother/Irish twin” syndrome. He is truly a sweet boy, but my second biggest challenge (next to his sister) in my mommyhood. Our relationship is very rewarding, but is work to say the least.
With knowing all of this & adding one more boy to the mix, I realized I could easily encounter the same problems with my Lil’ Buckaroo. So, while I was at the used book store this week I picked up Baby Sign Language, A Practical Guide to Signing with your Baby. It is not the least bit overwhelming & is just what I was looking for. It gives detailed pictures of each sign & is categorized by:
- An introduction – brief explanation & benefits of signing & getting started & signing tips
- First signs
- Signs at home
- Signs for out & about
- Playtime signs
This book recommends choosing four to five signs to begin with (using in context). Here are our first five signs I will begin teaching my Lil’ Buckaroo:
- Eat – put your fingers & thumb together as though you’re holding a piece of food, then tap them against your mouth several times.
- Hi/Hello – Hold your right hand level with your face with the palm facing forward & make a small waving motion from left to right.
- Mommy – Using the first three fingers of your right hand, tap twice on the open palm of the left hand.
- Daddy – Form a C shape with your right hand & bounce it two or three times against the extended index finger of your left hand.
- Brother/Bubba “Tyler” – Make both hands into fists and then rub them up & down against each other.
Next we will introduce:
- Wet
- Careful
- Stop
- Sleep
- Yes, No
- Down
- Sit
- I love you
- Play
- Book
- Comforter/blankie
- Which
I am eager to blog about baby signing, as this is my first experience with signing & I think it will be a great way to document our accomplishments throughout this new journey. I am hopeful that this brings less frustration for my baby, as well as myself! Wish us luck!