As CrAzY as this may sound, I have had a hard time finding the right Bible studies for our homeschool. Yes, I know the BIBLE is the best source & I had a wonderful year using Heart of Dakota’s Little Hearts For His Glory – which we read through an entire children’s Bible. Since then though, I have wanted to find a relaxed study that will teach my older child & young children together.
I have heard great things about Veritas Press’s Bible curriculum, but I’m not sure where I would start & I’m apprehensive that it is really what would work for us.
I have another friend that love’s Kay Arthur’s children’s studies. These are fantastic, but are recommended for ages 8-12 so it is way over my mustangs heads.
After hearing Ken Ham from Answers in Genesis speak, I think it is extremely valuable for kids to learn the precepts of the Bible & have answers to their questions so that they are able to defend their faith & recognize the truth. It is very important to me that my children learn more than just the Bible stories. I already use God's Design for science & love it. My interest in the Answers for Kids Series is growing.
Devotions have been a huge hit around here. Our favorites are the Tyndale Kid’s Devotions. I use The One Year Book of Devotions for Boys for my boys in the morning & Sticky Situations & The One Year Book of Did You Know Devotions for Kids for all the kids right before bed. My mom got the kids started on what has now become a tradition. I read the story, then the related text & then the kids play a guessing game to discover where it came from. Believe it or not, it has been a great refresher for my big kids on the book of the Bible & a wonderful intro to the younger boys. It even helps my Mustangs with some math skills. Here is what a typical game is like:
Tucker: “Old Testament?”
Me: “No.”
Tyler: “Matthew?”
Me: “Nope.”
Taylor: “John?”
Me: “Yes!”
Trevor: “1?”
Me: “Higher.”
Tucker: “Bigger than 1? That means if comes after right mom? 3?
Me: “Yes! You got it!”
Tyler: “I know, I know, John 3:16, ‘For God so love the world that He gave His one & only son . . .”
I usually just say higher or lower & remind them that if it mentions Jesus or is something He said it is most likely from the New Testament. They have all gotten very good at this game & get really mad if I slip & accidently read the book it is from.
We also like the Hide ‘Em In Your Hearts & Seed scripture songs for practicing scripture memory. These are very catchy & we all enjoy them. My older kids would kill me if they knew I told on them, but we are ALL big fans of the Praise Baby DVD’s & Songs.
I’m still on the lookout for the perfect fit of children’s Bible study for my crew, so if you have any suggestions please leave me a comment or e-mail me.