First off, let me state that where my children attend school is NOT their decision. We do however, value their opinions. With that said, Tim & I have the final say. Our situation with Taylor is a little more complicated, because there is a custody issue involved.
Over the past several months I have prayed diligently for God to direct our path for our homeschool this year. In May Taylor hinted that she wanted to return home for her schooling. When it was discussed later she grew very adamant about her decision to be homeschooled. I continued to pray & honestly gave it to God completely. I did NOT want to make the decision! Taylor returning home for school effects the entire house & I was hesitant that although it might be good for her, it might not have the same outcome for our other children.
As I prayed, Classical Conversations repeatedly crossed my plate. I truly believed God was leading us towards joining a Classical Conversations group. I especially thought this would be a wonderful option for Taylor especially. I tend to get gung-hole over matters, but I was very cautious not to rush into any decision making. I prayed. I prayed. I prayed. I debated on joining the Foundations group or just the Essentials classes. I feel that writing & grammar are not my areas of strength (especially with Taylor!) & I grew very excited about her being apart of this group.
Taylor has been with her mom for almost 3 weeks now (for her summer visitation). This week we met with her & we ALL sat down with her counselor to discuss the plan for the upcoming school year. On the way to our meeting I prayed & asked God to direct our paths & allow me to trust Him no matter the outcome. During our meeting Taylor very maturely stated that she had changed her mind & thought it would be better to go back to public school. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed, but at the same time I felt a major sense of relief.
So for 2010-2011 we will enroll Taylor in the 6th grade at our local public school. This year will differ greatly for her than the previous years, as the school as now departmentalized its classes by subjects. She will now have a different teacher for each subject. Math is her biggest weakness academically & for the first time she will have a very challenging teach for this subject. I am certain this will prove to be a good thing for Taylor & pray she will thrive with this opportunity. She will also be playing volleyball for the school’s Jr. High team! This should be a great motivation for her to succeed academically. – no pass, no play!
God is so faithful. I rest in assurance that He works only for the good. Although I may not understand the details, I trust in His plans.