Saturday, September 25

Time-Out

ipix 438

In her book, Creative Corrections, Lisa Whelchel offers a few helpful suggestions for better use of “TIME OUT”.

She suggests using a time out far away – like the tree 5 pastures over :)  Or to use specific “Time Out” spots.  I have creatively created a sock matching time out spot (everyone here hates matching the missing socks up).  Sometimes disciplining doesn’t have to involve a punishment or harsh consequence.  Sometimes my boys fight & just need a “Time out” from each other.  I use this Time Out almost daily!  For about 30 minutes each day they end up being band from playing with one another.  Another idea for a Time Out is to have them work on something.  Have an activity ready to go just for a Time Out – maybe pound nails into a board, or work a puzzle. 

I’m currently working on creating lot’s of time out spots.  I love Erica’s (Confessions of a Homeschooler) idea of sending her kids to the laundry room when they have a bad attitude – what goes in is dirty & it doesn’t come out until it is clean.

Do you have any creative Time Outs?

No comments: