Friday, October 8

Creative Correction Jars

DSC_0528

I am LOVING the toolbox ideas in Lisa Whelchel’s Creative Correction book.  I seriously did a happy dance when I discovered her “Correction Can.”  And the Job Jar – OMGoodness!!!!  I’m getting lot’s of jobs done around here by a certain little girl that just refuses to tell the truth!!  Here are the details:

Job Jar:

  • Clean the bathroom
  • Pick up in the barn
  • Sweep the floor in the living room
  • Clean mommy’s truck out
  • Pick up trash outside for 30 minutes
  • Clean the porch
  • Pick up the yard
  • Clean the laundry room
  • Dust the living room
  • Ask a neighbor to work for free
  • MERCY

Correction Jar:

  • Go to bed early 30 minutes
  • Tell mommy she is beautiful :)
  • 100 push-ups
  • No 4-wheeler
  • Worksheet
  • Write an apology
  • Mad for the day
  • No movie night
  • Wake up early 30 minutes
  • Go to your room for 30 minutes
  • Job Jar
  • Write Sentences
  • Apologize
  • No soda or tea
  • Read a book & write a book report
  • 50 sit-ups
  • MERCY
  • Run 5 laps
  • Memorization
  • No i-pod/electronics
  • 25 sentences
  • Give mommy a toy
  • 1 Spanken
  • 2 Spankens
  • No friends over
  • Kitchen duty
  • No cell/video games
  • Read for 30 minutes
  • Remind mommy to be slow to anger

The big jar in the middle is the Blessing Jar:

  • Snuggle time with mommy or daddy 15 minutes after bedtime
  • 5 minute back rub
  • Get out of jail free
  • Friend over
  • Sleepover
  • Pick story time book
  • Free chore pass
  • Soda/tea
  • Pick Netflix movie
  • Stay up late 30 minutes
  • Any item from the school store
  • Extra treat
  • 1 movie
  • Ice-cream
  • School store any item under $5

The 4 small jars belong to each of my kids.  I am going to put about 100 pennies (because that is most likely how many we will need!) in each jar.  *You can substitute pennies with almost anything – especially candy!  Anyway, they will all start off with some sort of prize in their jar, but each time I hear them talk ugly to one another (or me) they have to put it in whoever’s jar they offended.  So let’s just say Tucker calls Trevor a baby (not that he has ever done that or anything) & I hear it (tattling doesn’t count!!), then Tucker has to put 1 of his pennies (or candy) in Trevor’s jar.  At the end of the week they get to keep whatever is left in their jar & the one with the most gets a bonus prize – maybe $5 or a big candy bar.

I am totally all about the jars right now!  Love them!  I struggle with not letting my outlaws make me crazy or upset.  Not that I have a raging temper, but just a frustrated mommy kinda mad.  Nonetheless, I would like to save those moments for the more severe moments.  The jars are really helping me stay calm & even happy – I’m excited to use the jars :)  -->  “What was that, you told Tucker he cries like a girl?  Looks like you get to go to the correction jar!”  or “When your done rolling your eyes at me & shaking your head no, you can go pick a slip out of the job jar & think about your attitude while your working.”

On the other hand, for special occasions when my sweet children are caught being sweet then they get to draw a slip out of the blessing jar.  I keep the jars together on my kitchen counter to help remind me to look for opportunities to bless my kids as well.  I don’t abuse the jar though – the blessing jar truly is a privilege.  But I think I need a blessing jar for being a good mommy too!  You know, with a manicure & pedicure as one of the blessings!  :)

I’d love to hear any suggestions you have for adding to any of these jars.

No comments: