Wednesday, June 29

Chores: Routine Cards

I know I have said several times that I needed to update our chore chart/system.  The hard part of this for me is the wide age range I have now. 

Tyler is such a diligent worker & doesn’t really need a chart or system.  His responsibilities are the same each day & he does them without being asked.  *We do give him an “allowance” ($20/month).  He is our oldest & is always our “go to guy”.  By far he is his daddy’s top hand & my biggest helper with the little kids.  His diligence is not only remarkable, but his attitude is such a blessing.  The boy seriously LOVES to work.  Currently his daily chores are all the outside animal jobs. 

For several months now he has been “training” Tucker – teaching him to do his jobs.  And I am so pleased with how well he has done.  Occasionally, the boys will fight & argue, but for the most part they work well together. 

Tucker really had us worried for a while . . . WORK, was not a word we associated with him.  at.  all.  He was too busy exploring to “work.”  Having him as Tyler’s helper has instilled the work ethic we were hoping for.  Recently, he has been doing most of the animal chores on his own with Tyler overseeing them.  He wakes up early & begins his chores immediately most mornings (without being reminded). 

Tucker & Trevor have a couple of chores together:  dishes, picking up poop, & yard work (picking up the scattered toys).  These two do NOT work so well together.  They fight constantly & when the job isn’t done well the other is always to blame.  Very seldom do they work together without fighting.  Very VERY seldom do they do anything without fighting, but that is another story.  To cut the fighting down & get the job done I have given them “zone” or areas of responsibility.  If they are working in the yard, they each have a  side they are responsible for.  If they are doing the dishes Tucker does it one day & Trevor the next. 

Trevor he loves to work, but only when he wants too.  Typical for a 5 year old.  He does very well with his personal chores (emptying small trashcans around the house, wiping the table off, & feeding the dogs).  He is a very good “mommy helper” & loves to help me make my bed. 

Soon, Tyler will begin with bigger boy duties, Tucker will take over Tyler’s chores, & Trevor will gain a few more personal chores. 

All of my children make their beds, put their clothes away, clean their rooms, & help in “zones” during cleaning days/times. 

I have a new chore “chart” in the works, but it is very simple & more of a list than a chart.  However, for my younger kids & to aid in getting back in a “school” routine & out of the more relaxed summer routine we have enjoyed for a couple months now I had my sweet sister make the boys “routine cards”:

001002Scan0000Scan0001Scan0002

*These cards are not in any particular order & I’m still missing a few.  I just sent my sister a little mason jar surprise, so maybe she’ll surprise me with a few more pictures.  Isn’t she a great artist?  These are NOTHING compared to “real” artwork.  Can you tell the pictures I colored?  LOL  (take a close look at the toy box , meal times (lunch/dinner), & goats).  Yeah, I did NOT get blessed with the artistic gift!

 

I still need to cut these beauties out & decide where I am going to put them.  I’m thinking in the hallway to the boys room – **Which I just totally redid – painted it & made it into a family “message center”.  It is AWESOME.  Not completely done yet, so pictures will be posted soon!

No comments: