Okay get your Chore list & Zones . . . We are going to make CHARTS . . .
You do have a couple options with charts. I have used & LOVE doorpost charts. They are a great start & only cost $5 http://www.doorposts.net/serviceop.asp This is a poster board size chart that is divided into 20 sections. Write in your family’s most frequent chores in these spaces. They provide a list of 60 ideas, and 56 cartoon illustrations that you can color, cut and glue next to each chore listing. This makes an attractive chart and will help your non-readers use the chart, too. On one side of the chart is a moveable sticky (doorpost instructions are to write the childs name on these so you can assign different chores each day to each child). Here is my tweak on their charting: I write each childs name in a divided section & under it I list their chores & a picture for the little ones. Next to this I place a sticky (color coded for each child, but not necessary), on the sticky I write when it is to be done (example, "daily" or "Mon" or "Tue & Thur"). When the chore is done it is placed over the picture or description. If you choose to pay your children, you could write the reward next to the chore & the sticky could be over the reward & moved to the description when completed. This is a great motivation & has saved me from having to ask repeatedly, "are your chores done?" I keep this chat in my kitchen at a height that all can reach. (I will post a picture when I am done working on our new Spring Chart).
Other ideas for charts are computer made ones (google chore charts for freebies & ideas) or scrapbook a chart. All you need to make your own is a posterboard, ruler, markers & small sticky notes (optional). You don't have to have a BIG chart, individual charts are an option too (walmart does sell small posterboards in a package that are perfect for individual charts). I have both! See previous posts on charts to look at mine. Your charts don't have to be "Pretty" -- I just tied a hobby into making mine -- it was fun for me. If you think your children would enjoy making their own include them! Or have them draw small pictures for the chart.
I do recommend color cordinating for multiple children. Also have a hard copy or list in your "control journal" -- page protector is also helpful if you just make a copy of it. LAMINATING individual charts will help with durability. On the back of your hard copy write your childrens name, age, season & year. Example: Taylor, 9 yr. Spring 2008. This will be a head start on Charts to come!!
If you want other ideas or don't think this will work for you Managers of Their Homes now has a Managers of Their Chores. You may want to look into their system. -- None the less, MAKE A CHART!!
OH . . . I must include the idea that Doorpost uses . . . These are NOT "CHORE CHARTS" they are "SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES."
Good Luck! Have Fun! Be Creative! Send Pictures! E-mail for questions . . .
God Bless!
No comments:
Post a Comment