Tuesday, May 27

Tab 2: Curriculum

Because I have a serious "issue" with LOVING curriculum I have dedicated my second tab to topic!! This divider also has a pocket so I store some of my pamphlets for my curriculum her or reading charts, etc. Behind this tab is proof of this sickness I have. I know God blessed me with organization & planning skills -- I truly enjoy these things! However, I do know there is a thin line & I am border lining OC on this one! Before I reveal my sick endeavors, let me explain: Okay, I have a hard time deciding which curriculum I am going to use, for which kids to use it, which age groups to keep together, when to separate my oldest from the others, & the questions just roll over & over in my head . . . well, if I do this for her will it work for him? SO, to make sense of all these wonderful possibilities I have made a chart based on ages/grades of all my favorite curriculum (so far). I know this sounds "sick," but I have struggled with my history philosophy & the whole 4 year rotation -- when to teach different era's of history. This chart has helped me plan this out. I looks something like this


I also have 2 other charts that are my history & science plans. -- Crazy, I know! But it works for me. (& no, I don't have too much time on my hands -- just very little sleep) I will have to blog about my history philosophy soon & this may help you understand my future planning.

Next, I have a pocket divider (without the tab) to hold printout that I use for curriculum fairly often & don't want to have to open and close the binder each time.

Then there is a list of history curriculum for creation, ancients, middle ages/renaissance, US, & world history.

Last behind this tab is information upon information on my favorite curriculum. I have used adhesive-sticker tabs (I have no idea where I got them -- maybe the dollar store) to label the different curriculum for a quick find. The information on this curriculum varies, but includes: units/yearly guides, future order wish lists, outline of the curriculum, corresponding books, book packages, & overview of the curriculum.

Behind all of this I do have another pocket divider to hold info for art & music appreciation. This is separated mainly because this is something new I will be introducing and I am still studying & researching how & what I want to use.

WHY? As I have admitted, picking curriculum is something that takes a lot of prayer & time for me. There is so much great stuff out there I just want to do it all. Knowing that this isn't a possibility I do spend a lot of time researching & review my favorites. Some consideration I take into account while choosing is:

1. Which one will allow me to teach the majority of my children together?

2. Which one covers everything/most of the topics I want to teach my children?

3. Which one is teacher friendly and laid out in a user friendly format?

4. Which one will my children enjoy?

5. What books are used with this curriculum? Which books aren't used?

These are just a few of the deciding factors for me, but I have found curriculum I think I will just love, but am disappointed by how much is skipped or the poor choice of books used.

Another reason I devote time and effort to this is because I found that the different vendors are a great source for book lists (next weeks tab). Also I have been some where or talking with other homeschools are discovered a new book or curriculum that might work later for us -- this is a great place to make a note of that.

This may or may not be an issue or need for you personal control journal; however, I have included this for those of you that do need a way to keep up with all this information.

No comments: