Friday, November 20

All About Me

Remember these?  Well, they are even cuter when they are finished!  Last week I taught my last class of my 10 week long All About Me class at our enrichment group.  This might go down as my all time favorite class to teach. 

I began each class (which was 1 hour long) with the same routine each week.  We started with a song, which varied depending on the theme for that week.

After singing, we would recite our memory verse, “I am fearfully & wonderfully made.”  Then we would review our memorization facts:

  • What is your name?
  • How old are you?
  • Where do you live?

Next, we would work on our names:

  • Recognition (Find it)
  • Build, trace, copy, write
  • Other name activities (*I made each child a bottle top name plate w/ their pictures &  their own name envelope too)

Lastly, we would quickly review the lesson taught the week before.

Look how cute my Mustangs books turned out:

Week 1:  I Am Special

  • We had fun with mirrors & singing, “Look who came to school today”
  • We played words that rhyme with “me” game
  • We took full body length pictures for the cover of our books:

101_1167

We started working on our fact sheet: 101_1168

I measured each child using a string – then they compared who’s string was the longest/shortest.

Then they completed their masterpieces, their self portraits:101_1169

We also talked about our favorite things.  I gave each child food stickers for them to pick their favorite foods out & put them on their plates. (*this is good for motor skills as well)  In addition, you could also have them share their favorite toy for “show & tell.” 101_1170There is also a “Things I don’t like page” that we were going to cut pictures out of magazines & write words on, but time did not allow & not all my kids were scissor safe just yet!

Week 2:  My Home

  • Discussed where we live (not all the kids live in the same town) – we talked about our city & state.
  • Talked about our houses (size, color, bedroom)
  • Talked about our neighborhoods (discussed characteristics of neighborhoods posing questions)
  • Read the story “The House that Jack Built & “My Street” by Usborne
  • Played “house” & built houses with Lincoln logs
  • Shared our house pictures
  • Completed our neighborhood coloring sheet
  • Glued our “My Home” pictures & shared them with the class:

101_1172

Week 3:  My Family

  • Discussed family sizes & members
  • Talked about what roles we play in our family (son/daughter, brother/sister, etc.)
  • Grouped kids by the different roles they play or by family sizes
  • Role played family roles
  • Introduced Tree Page
  • Glued Family photo & shared it with the class:

101_1174

Week 4-5:  MY BODY:  Basic Body Parts, Hands & Arms

  • Sang “Head & Shoulders, Knees & Toes” & “The Goldfish” song by Laurie Berkner
  • Identified our basic body parts
  • Talked about different types of hair & comparisons in the class
  • Eyes – eye color, blink, wink
  • Practiced snapping our fingers
  • Clapped our hands – around of applause for everyone that had “helping hands”
  • Discussed & demonstrated ways we use our hands (helping, pushing, pulling, wiping, etc.)
  • Practiced throwing softly, quickly, high, low, etc.
  • Gave hugs
  • Made matching handprints (for following week)
  • Played mix & match w/ our handprints (as described below)

*I cut their handprints out, wrote their names on the back – each w/ a different color so if they struggled finding their name they could recognize it by the color.  I gave each child 1 of their own hands & someone else’s.  They had to match their missing hand.

 101_1185 

  • Reached for the stars – I put tape on the back of one of their hands & we had a contest to see who could reach the highest.
  • We made muscles from Adorable Wearables (LOVE IT!!)
  • Made hand & fingerprints in our books:

101_1175

We didn’t have enough class time, but I would have liked to have made a handprint T-shirt for them/their parents.

Week 6:  MY BODY:  Legs & Feet

  • Sang “Head & Shoulders, Knees & Toes” & “The Goldfish” song by Laurie Berkner
  • I wrote each kids’ name on a foot cut out & spread them across the floor & they had to search for their name

101_1182

  • Read “My Feet” by Aliki
  • Practiced walking on our tip-toes
  • Stomped our feet, walked like soldiers, various animals, etc.
  • We discussed how things felt on our feet & how important it was to protect our feet with socks & shoes – as well as what shoes we wear for different times of the year & occasions
  • I tickled each of their feet with feathers
  • Did lot’s of jumping
  • Played kick-ball
  • We made footprints in our books:

101_1176 

 We didn’t have time, but I would have liked to of made a class foot collage.

Week 7:  MY BODY:  Guts & Stuff

  • We talked about our bodies while making our body posters:

101_1165

101_1166

  • We discussed the shape & size of our hearts
  • For name recognition I typed each kids’ name on a heart & they each had to find their name

101_1183        

I forgot to bring a stethoscope, but I would have liked for the kids to have gotten to listen to their hearts.

  • We discussed what we put in our stomachs & the importance of eating healthy

Again, time didn’t permit, but I intended for them to play the Operation game.  Another fun idea I saw after I taught this lesson was tracing their bodies & running red & blue yarn through them to teach about veins.

Week 8:  My 5 Senses

  • We discussed all of our 5 senses while reading Maria Ruis’s “the five senses” books
  • Played a 5 Senses file folder game
  • Sight
    • Discussed eye colors
    • Looked through sunglasses
    • Used binoculars
    • Played with our I-Spy Jars
  • Hearing
    • Played “Name that Sound”
    • Played Musical Chairs
  • Smell
    • What is that smell? – smelled spices & discussed the different smells
  • Taste
    • Discussed things we do & don’t like to taste

I intended to bring items to taste for something: sour, sweet, bitter, spicy, hot, cold, etc

  • Touch
    • Played with touch & feel books
  • Completed our My 5 Senses page: 101_1178

Week 9:  My Emotions

  • Made faces & acted out different emotions
  • Discussed our emotions:  What makes you . . . ?
  • Played Hide & Seek
  • Made faces in the mirror
  • Read “The Grouchy Lady Bug”
  • Took pictures for our My Emotions page:101_1177

I would have liked for the kids to have made paper plate faces using paint sticks & yarn.

Week 10:  My Manners

  • Practiced Please & Thank You
  • Practiced sharing – while playing Hullabaloo (they have to share the mats) *you could use any board game to practice cooperation & taking turns as well
  • Practiced be a helper & cleaning up while singing:  “Clean up, Clean up”
  • Gave everyone an “I Shared Today” badge

101_1180

And that concludes our All About Me class!

101_1179