Friday, February 12

Measuring

101_2103

This year I have been using Winter Promise Pk/K Basic Phonics LA.  One feature this curriculum offers in addition to phonics study that I truly appreciate is the a “Lifeskills” section – which is also helping me reach many of my Kindergarten goals for my Mustangs.  This weeks lifeskills were liquid & solid measurement.  Can you tell how much fun we had?

  101_2097101_2096 

I gave each of the boys a cup & bowl, 1/2 cup & a cup measuring dish, a teaspoon & tablespoon measuring spoons, a measuring cup, a quart & a gallon jugs, & a jar full of rice.  101_2093

I used this foam activity mat (they punch out so the kids can manipulate them) to help explain measurements & demonstrate what equals what.

101_2095 101_2094

By the end of the week they had a better understanding for a measuring cup & could identify the big cup as a measuring cup & knew to fill it to the number 1 for a cup.  They could also recognize a teaspoon from a tablespoon & a 1/2 cup from a cup. 

101_2090

We practiced pouring 2 half cups into their bowl & then pouring it into the 1 cup dish.  Was it the same amount?  The boys loved their experimenting with measuring activities.

 101_2092 101_2091

To conclude our measuring lifeskills study I had the Mustangs help me make our Valentine cupcakes.  I showed them the box with directions & they did their own measuring. 

101_2195 101_2197 101_2196  

They did a great job!  I love watching them grow up!!

101_2205