Friday, April 30

Now I’m Reading: Pre-readers

Now I'm Reading! My World: Pre-Reader Children's Beginning Readers Set (10 Phonics Books with 40 Stickers) (Now I'm Reading! for Beginning Readers, Pre-Reader)I chose Nora Gaydos’, “Now I’m Reading” ,beginning readers over the Bob Books.  This series is wonderful & offers great suggestions for developing necessary pre-reading skills for ages 3-6 years old.  They are a collection of soft-covered mini-readers that come together as a set in a hard covered binder.  A parents guide & stickers are also included. 

Inside the parents guide you will find an explanation of the format of the included books, suggestions for using the books, & ideas to help your child learn the alphabet.

My Mustangs are currently enjoying the My World Pre-Reader books.  I am truly pleased with the format of these readers.  Each book has a different theme & includes a couple sight words:

  1. Opposites
  2. Number Sequence (First, Second, Third, etc.)
  3. Places
  4. Things that go
  5. Rhyming
  6. Animals
  7. Actions
  8. Farm
  9. Household
  10. Baby Animals

We also have the Look Around!  Pre-Readers, which include the following themes:

  1. Colors
  2. Numbers
  3. Emotions
  4. Food
  5. Pets
  6. Jobs
  7. Shapes
  8. Body Parts
  9. Family
  10. Clothes

I’ve found these books to be great read-along books with cute little pictures that the boys enjoy.  They have gained initial confidence with the predictable text format & are so excited to add a sticker after “reading” their books. 

At the end of each book is a page with words to know: sight words & picture words.  There is also a “Stretch Your Mind” page which lists simple activities to reinforce the concepts focused on in the book. 

Check out Montessori For Everyone for a very helpful comparison of beginning phonics readers.