My chore charts (HERE & HERE) are two of my most popular posts. I keep meaning to put together a new chore chart, but I just can’t seem to find the time or creative skills to bling something up that will work for our entire family. The general store idea works – on normal weeks. But if you’ve read my blog very long, you’ll know that my family has not seen a “normal” week in quite some time. Take the last 4 weeks for example – 2 surgeries, multiple doctors appointments, & sick babes. Life for us is just crazy & because we live out in the middle of no where it pretty much takes all day to do anything. Another problem I have is Big Daddy. He is such a “By God . . .” Daddy – you know – “do it because I say so!” He doesn’t understand why the kids need chore charts, incentives, or reminders for something he says to do & should be done every day.
The biggest problem is the differences in my kids. Tyler – 99% of the time he is self motivated, extremely responsible, great attitude, very hard worker. He is the definition of diligence. Once he mastered his chores & we saw the incredible attitude he has in doing them we decided to reward him with an allowance. He usually ends up doing more than his chores – as he is the oldest & most responsible, he just naturally has become our “go-to-guy”. He deserves & earns every bit of his $20 bonus a month. I really don’t want to call this an allowance, because we did not decide to pay to do his chores, but we wanted to acknowledge how much we appreciate his work ethics. Tucker & Trevor on the other hand are the complete opposite from their older brother. Tucker wants to be paid. Then work. LOL Because this is not our first rodeo, Big Daddy & I are learning to speak their languages. It is so much easier to find some middle ground than it is to fight them every step of the way. We certainly will not pay him to work, but I am thinking on a reward system that works frequently. I’m not sure what it’s going to take to get Trevor to work. He does pretty well working alongside some one. He is more than willing to help Tucker, but Tucker is so stubborn he refuses to accept the help most of the time. Trevor may become Tyler or mommy’s helper with a few individual chores himself.
Don’t misunderstand me, regardless of the above issues, ALL my boys work. They all do chores . . .
Tyler is 10. His main responsibilities are for the goats & chickens. He lets them out in the morning, put them up at night, feeds & waters them, cleans their pen, & anything else that involves them animals (like chasing them out of the watermelon patch, garden, wheat field, or neighbors flowerbed). He also helps feed cows during the winter & works in the garden during the spring/summer.
Tucker is 6. He is suppose to feed the dogs & pick up their poop out of the yard. He also is in charge of gathering the chickens egg, but Tyler usually does it because Tucker is scared of our papa goat & snakes during the summer.
Trevor is 4. He doesn’t have any assigned individual chores, but is the universal helper to his brothers. He does not like to work alone, but typically has a happy heart to help out.
Truman is almost 2. He loves wipies & is obsessed with wiping everything down. He also puts some of the silverware away when his brothers unload the washer. But he is REALLY good at creating most of the messes around here!
Together Tucker & Trevor unload the dishwasher & dump all the small trashes around the house. And every now & then, they will fold a load of towels or sort socks for me. All my boys put their own clothes away (this has always been their first real chore & usually starts between 2-3 years). They are also in charge of their rooms; however, I usually end up cleaning it A LOT! Occasionally, when the yard is out of control they will have a group pick up day. Anytime there is much work to be done, or a large project (ie. the house is a total disaster or the chicken coop needs its annual major cleanout) we all work together as a family.
Despite all the issues & my lack of inspiration, I have been thinking a lot about a new chore system. We definitely need to come up with something to motivate the younger two boys as well has hold them more responsible for their duties. I’ve considered trying Erica’s new chore chart, but I also love the way this family does chores. Then, I found this post & the wheels started spinning even more. Speaking of spinning, I LOVE the wheel!!
So, you see now, why I have been draggin’ on creating a new chore chart. It is a bit more complicated than anticipated . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment