Thursday, March 3

Next year.

It is that time of the year where curriculum & lesson plans are racing through most homeschool mama’s heads.  We are out to find the best curriculum, frugal deals, & create the perfect schedule.  I admitted a long time ago that even though I’m a totally fabulous schedule maker, WE are NOT a schedule family.  There is never a typical day, I’ve given up on scheduling our days, & embraced where we are in life & compromised with a routine. 

Next year our routine will probably be a lot different than it is now considering there will be a newborn thrown in the mix.  I’m not even going to go there at this point.  However, I have come up with a schedule.   Yes.  You read that right a schedule.  But not a daily schedule – an annual schedule.  After reading how this large family plans their homeschooling (you better believe I’m getting the desk apprentice!!), I knew right away that this is exactly what I need.  And is totally doable for me.  It is almost an incentive.  After finally coming to terms with having a chronically sick baby I admitted that I wasn’t able to “do it all”.  I had to figure out what my priorities were – the rocks (the basic school work:  Math, Reading, Writing & Grammar).  What the pebbles were (History & Science).  And what the sand was (too much to list!)  At first, I started off great.  I was determined to find our groove.  I did pretty good letting go, but then I fell off the wagon.  I felt like I needed to do it all.  About the same time I attempted to be super mom, the rug was pulled out from under me & I was bombarded with numerous doctor visits (try at least 10 within the last 4 weeks, which includes 2 surgeries & a short hospital stay – 2 specialist, one spontaneous, & multiple follow-ups).  The next two weeks very little got done.  Partly because things were just so crazy we really couldn’t, & partly because I felt like if I couldn’t do it all I just wouldn’t do it at all.

Anyway, I have decided to homeschool year around.  We pretty much already do, but I think if I let go of the “extra” & stretch our regular studies out over the entire year it will make it much easier to cope with this crazy life we live.  It will not only allow time off for the craziness, but also motivate me through it to look for a planned break & not feel like I’m behind or a loser homeschool mom.  My plan is exactly like theirs, but I love the flexibility this will allow.  They homeschool 3 months straight with a week off during the middle month, then an entire month off between the next 3 month stretch, etc. 

So, here is how I’m going to make it work for us in this season of life  . . .

My goal is still to finish our current school by May (at least the basics).  We will be gone most of May.  Tyler has church camp for a week in June, so I’m thinking June will be to tie up any loose ends & enjoy the summer days before the excruciating Texas heat runs us to indoors seeking ac.  In July we will start our new schedule, officially beginning our 2011-12 school year & if all goes well it will look something like this:

July-Sept:  School with a week off at the end of Sept

Oct:  OFF

Nov:  School with a week off during Thanksgiving

Dec:  OFF

Jan-Feb:  School

Mar-April:  School

We’ll either take May or June off depending on summer plans

I’m lovin’ it!  If this baby arrives in Sept or Oct it should allow me enough time to get in the swing of things, enjoy her  a newborn, & not feel overwhelmed with needing hurry back in time to keep up the pace of school.  The longer I journey down this road of homeschooling the more I’m learning to make the schedules, routines, chore systems, timing, curriculum work for me instead of me working for them!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Wow sounds like you have it all planned out.We are going with another school year round BC I can't do the schedule thing at all and I have one child.Do you have any suggestions on a MATH we are in between 4/5th grade here.I have read about teaching textbooks and math u see any advice???Are you all getting ready for 4H,we are hatching silkies,the incubators(2) are going non stop.

Are the boys happy to have another little one coming soon or has it even kicked in to them yet??
Blessings~