Thursday, July 5

Finding our groove.

Life is busy for us. 

I have found myself in unfamiliar territory as I wake up to a baby, unbelievably busy 3 year old, a 6 & 7 year old, & a very mature 11 year old.  Some days I feel like I need a clone.  Actually, a nanny would be fabulous!  And to be totally honest with you, I sorta have one.  For the summer at least.  (*Never be afraid to take advantage of any opportunities of help)  A couple days a week I have a high school girl coming in the mornings.  The extra hands are a big help, but even so, I still feel like there isn’t enough of me (or energy) to go around.  Life is good.  I can’t complain, but we are STILL no where near where *I* would like to be as far as homeschooling accomplishments.  In fact, I have been struggling with just getting the 3 R’s done.  History & Science (& a few other things) are on hold right now.  Schooling multiple ages is A LOT of work! 

I am easing our way back into a more productive day.  First, I’ve really been diligent with our morning routine.  We are getting up about 7:30/8ish (as much as I love the idea of being up early – I am NOT a morning person.  perhaps when I get uninterrupted sleep I will be more motivated to get up earlier.).  I have held to my guns on the “work before play” rule.  Chores are done, then breakfast.

ipix2012 295

For the past few weeks I have started doing preschool on Tue & Wed with Truman, my niece, & another little girl.  This definitely takes some time away from the other kids, but I love this age & it is so important to me that Truman gets this time with me (& not for educational purposes).  We have a lot of fun & they play so well together.  A typical preschool day for them is: circle time (songs), Bible story, ABC song, letter practice, hands-on activities, snack, outside play, lunch, then quiet time. 

While I am doing preschool with the preschoolers, my bigger boys are working on their independent work.  Then we all meet for lunch.  I also began tutoring a friends daughter from 12-1pm, Mon-Wed so after lunch I lay Tara down for a nap, the preschoolers have quiet time, & the bigger kids get a little free time. 

Once I am done with tutoring I begin spelling & reading with Tucker, then switch & work with Trevor.  This is where my energy level is plummeting & I need to get a better plan.  Obviously, each day is a little different for us, some more drastically.  We’ve successfully added some big changes to our day & are getting most of our priorities done, but I am still trying to find a balance with all the ages & needs of each child.  I realize this is a season in our homeschooling journey & we might not be able to “do it all,” but I am still hopeful we can manage our time in the most productive way possible & I realize that doesn’t necessarily mean getting it all done.  In an effort to do this, I’ve posted questions on facebook & done some surfing online.  Some of the suggestions weren’t practical for us; however, I did get some great tips!  I realize I am not the only homeschool mom that has a full house, so I will be sharing my plan of attack {soon} with you. 

1 comment:

Donna said...

You aren't alone! Everyone has difficulty getting back into the swing of things. Being realistic about what all of you can do is key. Adding things back in one at a time will help keep you on track.

Afternoon slump buster: coffee and chocolate :)